Monday, November 14, 2011

Dooms Day

Today was the day we went to Riley’s first appointment at the EOE (Eosinophilic Esophagitis) clinic. It went pretty good! We love Dr. Gibbons, our Gastro. He was the 1st (and only) Dr in the hospital that listened to us. He’s been honest and real with us 100% of the time and the realness is a quality I look for in Dr’s. We met our Allergist and i’ll never be able to pronounce his name, but I know it starts with a Q, so he will from now on be known as Dr. Q. He was pretty great too! Riley liked him and actually talked to him, which is a huge plus. She still hasn’t made eye contact with Dr. Gibbons, but he did give her a feeding tube so hostile feelings are expected here :) Dr. Q gave us the go ahead to start the elimination diet. For the next 8 weeks Riley can’t eat anything that is made of, contains, was made in a facility that contains, or could be cross contaminated with: peanut, tree nut, coconut (b/c these would sent her into anaphylatic shock) , wheat, milk, egg, soy, oat or fish. HOLY CRAP!!! The dairy somehow skipped my mind. We eat blocks of cheese every day. Cheese stocks will be going down thanks to us. Sorry Wall Street!! I’m doing this with her so she won’t feel left out. Until I can get my creative juices going she’ll be sticking with meat, fresh fruits and veggies. After 8 weeks she’ll have another scoping, we’ll see how her esophagus looks, then we’ll add in 1 of the demon foods. I’ll be begging for it to be milk. If the new added food is the culprit, we’ll cut it out and try the others. We’ll do this until we determine what’s causing the Eosinophils to grow. I hope it’s not milk - i’d rather it be all the foods except milk, than it be milk. Milk is in everything!
She had 1 emotional break down so i’m vowing here and now that i’m going to make this so easy and palate appealing to her that she won’t know what she’s missing. I know from 1st hand how hard it is to have food disabilities. I’m not letting my sweet baby girl suffer. Anyways…Saw was at school during this, Say was with us and was being a bootie-munch. Evan, being the amazing, amazing man/dad/husband he is, left work a lil’ early and came to the clinic to help. At one point Say was screaming so loud that Riley, the Dr and I just sat and looked at each other for minutes. Sooo, our adventure really begins now!!
image
Waiting in the waiting room. Being a Smith, our account # was mixed up w/ someone else’s so our wait was a tad longer while they worked out the kinks.
image
My goofy girl who reminds me more and more of her Aunt Kelly everyday. She’s been known to bust out in song and dance in the middle of the grocery store. I’m so proud the Chaney gene moves on :)

No comments:

Post a Comment