Sunday, November 20, 2011

home made luna bars, snack bars, whatever you fancy...

Before Riley was hit with this EE dx she loved Luna bars, Nutri-Grain Bars, Cliff Bars...things of that nature. I did too! It meant there was always a easy, quick fix for hunger. She could say "Mom, i'm hungry" and I would reply with "Get a bar!" Now when she's hungry it involves cooking, peeling fruits or veggies, mixing things together....I don't mind, I love her madly but it always seems to be she's hungry as soon as i've sat down for the first time in a long time. So I went to town on a bar and this one is a hit! We haven't decided on a name as of yet.

Nameless (at the moment) Bar

2 1/2 cups rice cereal
1/4 tsp honey
1/8 tsp maple syrup
2 tbsp vanilla
½ tsp salt
1/3 cup sunflower butter * see below
1 cup Enjoy Life Choc Chips

Mix everything except the cereal and chocolate chips in a pan, cook on low until melted. Add in the cereal. Spread on a foil or parchment paper lined cookie sheet and flatten. 



Melt the chocolate chips and spread over the top. Place in freezer until the chocolate hardens, then cut.


Riley definitely approved of these!! They were also super easy to make.




The recipe calls for Sunflower butter, which i'm also making this myself. All the one's I have looked at contain soybean oil or were made in a facility that contains something she can't consume. All I do is pour a jar of salted sunflower seeds in the blender and add 1 tbsp of olive oil at a time,  while it's on the puree setting. Keep adding olive oil until it gets smooth.  I like to add a little bit of honey until it's got the sweetness I want. Very easy, cheap and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment