Monday, November 14, 2011

Mama to the rescue!

My baby girl loves her rice! As long as it's covered in soy sauce. Quick story -  After I got the list of foods we have to eliminate I was nervous about anyone feeding Riley (except me) including her dad. I thought i'd give him a little test. Question - what's soy sauce made of?  SOYBEAN!!!  I thought i'd go with that, given it's in the name. I told Evan soy sauce has wheat in it - expecting to here "It also has soy in it smartie." Here's what I got - "I'm sure we can find a wheat free soy sauce."  WHAT?!? Really babe?

Well, we had rice last night and Riley was devastated she couldn't have soy sauce. I can't have that. So...it took me awhile but I came up with a pretty close substitute!

Smiley Sauce

2 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
1/4 tsp garlic powder
pinch white pepper
1 tsp ginger
2 tsp molasses
4 tsp balsamic vinegar
2 cups water
salt to taste

Mix everything except the water in a pot, let it get to a rolling boil and sit for 1 minute. Add the water and whisk. Get it to a slow boil, stir occasionally and keep doing this until it gets to the thickness you want. It took me about 15 minutes.

As you can see it doesn't make that much. After Riley tries it and tells me how amazing it is, i'll quadruple the recipe, sterilize an old Soy Sauce bottle and make a pretty label and there you have it!

UPDATE - She loved it! Evan said it's better than soy sauce. Lori 1 - EE 0

No comments:

Post a Comment